Guest checkout vs mandatory registration is a never-ending debate among E-commerce specialists, marketers, and store owners.
The checkout step is critical where a business cannot afford to make a poor decision as it affects the conversion chance, after all the efforts to bring a visitor and convince him/her for purchase.
Hence, allowing or not the guest checkout can be tricky. Also, it depends on the nature of the business. So, if you are a Magento 2 store owner who cannot allow guest checkout, here’s the stepwise method to disable guest checkout in Magento 2.
Benefits of restricting guest checkout in Magento 2:
- Collect maximum customer data in the registration form that can be used for effective marketing strategy
- Easy repeat purchase for the customers
- Get updates on ongoing offers and sales in the store
- Avail the benefits of the upgraded customer group
- Get relevant product recommendations
Collecting maximum customer data can be even easier in Magento 2 if you restrict guest checkout as the default Magento 2 allows configuring customer accounts. So, the admin can easily mandate the fields required and let customers sign up!
However, if you think that disabling guest checkout can slow down the purchase process, Meetanshi’s Magento 2 Guest to Customer extension can be a win-win situation for your business. It allows the admin to auto-convert guests to registered customers after the checkout step is finished.
For now, you can simply disable guest checkout in Magento 2 store as shown here:
Steps to Disable Guest Checkout in Magento 2:
- Login to Magento 2 admin panel
- Navigate to Stores > Settings > Configuration
- Under Sales, select Checkout
- Expand Checkout Options area
- Set No in Allow Guest Checkout to disable the checkout for guests.
- Click Save Config
If you want to go one step ahead and restrict visitors to access store pages until registration, you can check Magento 2 Force Login where the admin can control the access to store and display an alert message for compulsory login.
If you have doubts, feel free to ask a question in the Comments section below.
Let me help you to solve your problem.
Do consider sharing this post with Magento Community via Social Media.